Manager Utility for Clusters and Computers Administration
Michele Muggiri, firstname.lastname@example.org
Publication date: 01/2009
Last update: 05/2020
Software-based management of complex and heterogeneous IT infrastructures from a single point of access.
M.U.C.C.A. is a single-access, flexible and modular platform for managing heterogeneous computing clusters and other IT ancillary systems based on the following tools:
- DB to store info about status, configurations, usage and operation reports;
- Various shell scripts to collect and analyse data in an Internet of Things (IoT) sensor network, perform jobs, automate DB management and data presentation;
- Web interface;
- GREEN (https://www.crs4.it/results/technology-catalogue/green/) an energy-saving toolkit to switch on/off computing nodes on the basis of the queue load and resources usage, guaranteeing considerable savings in terms of both energy and costs;
Advanced computing; Web and information systems; Database systems; Information retrieval and digital libraries; Collaborative systems; IoT.
- Currently used for the management of the CRS4 HPC centre:
- All components are developed using open source software (Apache; MariaDB; PhP 5 e 7; HTML5; Bash);
- General release 2.11 fully and regularly updated;
- Technology Readiness Level (TRL): 6;
- Web interface not mobile-optimised.
- Portability across systems (tested in a production environment on Windows, Linux and Android architectures);
- It runs on a variety of different communication protocols (LDAP; SNMP; SSH; SSL; High-low);
- Centralised service access control and management;
- Modular scalability;
- Ease of use.
- Administrators of complex cluster systems and/or ancillary equipment (e. g. clusters with independent cooling units);
- Users of computing facilities gaining visual access to information with different granularity about jobs submitted and/or running on cluster nodes.
High Performance Computing - HPC; Virtual machines service management; Multi-user and multi-workstation systems management.