Open Source Toolkit for Building Virtual Infrastructures
Virtualization is a technology that allows to optimize the use of hardware and software resources of large computing and data management infrastructure. Virtualization technologies are used to consolidate a number of operating systems on the same physical machine, enabling, in a secure and transparent way, the assignment of specific execution environments to the software applications according to their latest requirements. These solutions allow to decouple the management of the virtual machine, visible to the end user, from the physical one (hardware), reducing the number of physical machines to manage and the related maintenance and energy consumption costs.
VIDA (Virtual Infrastructure Deployment Architecture) is an innovative software architecture for the deployment of virtual clusters. The architecture is able to dynamically allocate resources to applications through a general level of control that manages the computer system and its network components. VIDA offers an efficient environment ensuring the management, isolation and application security layers. VIDA is an open source software released under the LGPL license.
- automatic deployment of virtual images;
- resources scheduling;
- support for multiple virtual cluster models.
Technologists working at computer centers and data centers.
Computers and electronic systems - Data centers and high-performance computing facilities.
- Adrien Lebre, Paolo Anedda, Massimo Gaggero, Flavien Quesnel. DISCOVERY, Beyond the Clouds - DIStributed and COoperative framework to manage Virtual EnviRonments autonomicallY: a prospective study. Virtualization for High Performance Cloud Computing workshop (colocated with EUROPAR 2011) - august 2011.
- Paolo Anedda, Simone Leo, Simone Manca, Massimo Gaggero, Gianluigi Zanetti. Suspending, migrating and resuming HPC virtual clusters. Future Generation Computer Systems pages 1063--1072 vol. 26 num. 8 - october 2010.
- Paolo Anedda, Giovanni Busonera, Massimo Gaggero, Omar Schiaratura, Gianluigi Zanetti. Flexible clusters for high-performance computing. Proceedings Of The 12th IEEE International Conference On High Performance Computing And Communications (HPCC 2010) - 2010.
- Simone Leo, Paolo Anedda, Massimo Gaggero, Gianluigi Zanetti. Using virtual clusters to decouple computation and data management in high throughput analysis applications. Proceedings Of The 18th Euromicro Conference On Parallel, Distributed And Network-Based Processing IEEE Computer Society pages 411--415 M. Danelutto et al. Los Alamitos, CA, USA - 2010.
- Paolo Anedda, Simone Leo, Massimo Gaggero, Gianluigi Zanetti. Scalable repositories for virtual clusters. Euro-Par 2009 -- Parallel Processing Workshops Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science pages 414--423 vol. 6043/2010 H. X. Lin et al. - june 2010.