The task of the HPCN sector is to design, implement, manage and develop the service delivery platforms for high performance computing (HPC) and ICT with the aim of responding to the different needs of users of the center and the community it serves inside or outside the Technology Park Polaris. In collaboration with its community, the team assesses, implements and supports new and emerging technologies.
In particular, the activities of the sector focus on the following topics:
- Infrastructure Management of high-performance computing: management systems, policies, resource usage, management of different types of users through the creation of virtual clusters, development methodologies virtualization of resources;
- Internal Services: General Administration (systems, networks, HPC, mail, web, news, etc.), design, development, administration of the CRS4 website;
- Services to users of the park: managing network infrastructure of the park, advice and activities related to tenant companies, management of the DARK-FIBER, electronic mail, infrastructure management workshops for the ICT Cluster;
- Services to external users: the provision of computing services, disaster recovery systems;
- Platforms for genotyping and bioinformatics: Computational Infrastructure dedicated to the Illumina Solexa sequencers, analysis, design and development components of the management systems of sequencing machines;
- Training of the personnel assigned to work on systems and research.
The development of the activities listed above take into account the needs of users with particular attention to the provision and the availability of services, as well as their development in terms of on-going innovation.In fact, since CRS4 has a mandate to research and innovate, the services at its disposal must be at the state of the art to best support its activities.
The main task of the sector is to promote the computational resources to one of the top position in Italy, so that it can be used for the best interests of the scientific community, industry and the Sardinian Region.
Sector Head: Lidia Leoni